Do you desire to own and operate your own small organic farm? Come join our dynamic team and learn how we do it.
We are accepting applications for the 2022 season! Thank you for your interest in our farm.
CSA and Market Manager
Starting Pay: $14 – $17 / hr based on experience.
Hours: 40 hours week
Oak Spring Farm is a woman-owned and operated Certified Organic CSA and market farm situated on five acres in Freeland, Maryland. We grow 35-40 varieties of heirloom and specialty vegetables, pasture-raised, non-GMO chicken eggs, along with the freshest salad mixes you’ve ever tasted. We currently supply 200+ members in the Baltimore region with fresh produce, eggs, Daily Crisis cheese, Shady Spring 100% grass fed beef and Floriculture micro farm flowers every week via our CSA. Oak Spring Farm products can be found on the menu at many restaurants in the Baltimore region thanks to our partnership with Chesapeake Farm to Table. On Saturdays we attend the Hereford Farmers Market May-November.
CSA & Market Manager Job Responsibilities:
As the Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) and Farmer’s Market Manager you will oversee all operations related to the CSA and Farmer’s Markets, including:
- Leading the crew on CSA and Market Harvest days by delegating tasks during the harvesting, processing, and packing processes and ensuring efficiency and accuracy.
- Organizing & coordinating deliveries of the CSA shares weekly from March through November. Sets up, monitors sales of and runs farm store on Tuesdays.
- Monitoring and updating the CSA platform, Harvie, and working with Field manager on weekly inventory of produce to complete the Harvest Estimate. Compile an availability list for CSA members, to be posted on Harvie.
- Reviewing market data to determine availability and quantity of produce to be harvested and brought to each market, each week.
- Inventory management of all produce and packaging supplies.
- Attending markets every week from April through mid-December
- Track sales via POS, keeping POS updated with accurate information and sales data, cash handling, marketing and merchandising of products, customer engagement and retention.
- Produces promotional materials via email and social media. Monitors social media posts, responding and engaging with customers.
- Determines and monitors production schedules and provides work direction to volunteers and farm crew.
- Helps create and run on farm events quarterly by conferring with Lisa.
This is a seasonal position lasting for a minimum of 2 years, running from March through November but we want long term employees! Looking for someone who is interested in working at Oak Spring Farm for several years. Hours adjust throughout the season to accommodate the farm’s schedule which changes with weather and daylight, but will total approximately 40 hours per week. Plants and animals can require us to work weekends, holidays and odd hours of the day. We do try to be flexible. On-farm housing may be available. Employees are provided with fresh vegetables from the farm.
CSA & Market Manager Qualifications/Skills:
- Strong organizational skills and ability to foster teamwork
- Energetic, proactive self-starter, highly productive
- Reliable and accountable with strong communication skills
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- 2 seasons experience of organic farming
- 1 year of experience supervising or managing others
- Background in POS systems, and social media platforms
- Must have valid drivers license and reliable transportation
- Must be willing to undergo background check
To apply, please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org with your Name and “CSA/Market Manager Application” as the subject title. Send a resume but NOT just your resume. Please include three references who will attest to your reliability and capability of the work described. In a few paragraphs (cover letter) 1. What is your experience that qualifies you to do this work? 2. Why do you think you’d be the perfect person for this job?
Farm Crew member
Oak Spring Farm is seeking a full-time (possibly part time) farm crew member for the 2022 growing season (April-November). Oak Spring is a small, intensive Certified Organic farm in Northern Baltimore County, MD with a diversified vegetable production and humanely raised pastured eggs. We grow over 40 different crops and market our goods through a 200+ member CSA , Baltimore restaurants and local markets. Skills Desired: 2+ years of organic farm experience, strong field knowledge, ability to work independently and make decisions with common sense, willingness to work in all kinds of weather, knowledge of market garden tools, physical stamina and strength to easily lift and carry 50 lbs. Responsibilities include harvesting, seeding, transplanting, greenhouse/high tunnel production, irrigation, cultivating, farm maintenance, harvest estimates, laying hen and broiler care, managing and assisting volunteers, restaurant delivery and farmers market preparation and sales. The ideal candidate has:
- A serious interest and experience in organic farming
- A desire for efficiency, detail, and a sense of urgency
- Strong communication skills
- Willingness to take initiative and take on responsibility
- Commitment and enthusiasm
Send resume, 3 references and the answer to the below questions to email@example.com.
- Why do you want to work at Oak Spring Farm?
- Why are you the ideal candidate for this job?